Mayfield can trace its history to before St Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury (959-988) who built a wooden church at Magavelda (Mayfield) The Saxons knew the village as Maegthe (Chamomile).
The Doomsday Book of the Norman conqueror King William also mentions Mayfield, listing it as one of the six Sussex Manors that belonged to the See of Canterbury. In the 14th Century, the Archbishops were frequently in residence in Mayfield. In 1545 the manor passed to the Crown then into the ownership of Sir Thomas Gresham.
At this time Mayfield was Central to the Iron Industry, with the surrounding woodlands used by ‘Charcoal Burners’. Mayfield is a beautiful village with buildings of nearly every period and every material. The Victorian poet Patmore called it
“The Sweetest Village in England ”